Sunday, September 25, 2011

My First Cheese

     Cheese happens to be one of my favorite foods. It goes well with almost everything. However some cheeses are really expensive by the pound. So I started looking into the art of cheese making. My dad suggested that I look into a soft cheese made from yogurt. I found directions on how to make Labneh, which is a strained yogurt. 
     Labneh is a super simple recipe that is a great place to start making cheese. The basics are take a quart of plain yogurt, place it in a clean white cotton handkerchief  (or similarly sized piece of cloth), and hang it up and let the whey drip out. It takes about 16-24 hours for the whey to drip out. I let the whey drip out into a pitcher and left it in the fridge overnight. I had to pour the whey out a couple times as the whey filled up to the point where the cheese was hanging into the whey. 
     Today I pulled it out and scooped it into a container for storage. At first taste I was not all that happy. Tami and I talked it over and we decided to try a couple of additions to smooth out the flavor and make my taste buds a little happier. We tried three different things. First was using a garlic press to press two small cloves of garlic into about a half cup of the cheese. Second I pressed a small jalapeño from David and Emmy's garden and mixed in the juice. After tasting both of those and being fantastically happy with the results I tried adding the crushed jalapeño and a clove of garlic both into about a cup of cheese. I am waiting for the flavors to mix before I try that. I will let you know when it is done.


If you are interested in learning more about cheese making check out  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Cheese/ or http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html

No comments:

Post a Comment