Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wishful Thinking

I am just looking to put down a few ideas about what I want in the future. I want a piece of land that can be a hobby farm. I do not know if I would be brave enough to jump into a full farm right away, nor do I think that Tami would let me. However even on a small plot of land I could do most of what I want. It would have to be on at least two acres unfortunately, since there is a lot of ordinances restricting "farm animals" out here. Anything less it is illegal, but at two acres we could all of the sudden have 64 chickens 2 cows and 5 goats or pigs. Why I could have half of that on an acre out in the middle of nowhere I don't know.

Now I do not think that I would start with that many animals all at once. I think I would want to start with a few egg laying chickens, maybe 2 milk goats, enough meat chickens each year for our family, and at least two bee hives. Now I do not think that I would go buy all of this at once. I think it would be a one species at a time deal so that I would have time to figure out the basics before I add something on top of that. Tami would want us to start with the chickens probably and I would be content with that even though I might prefer the bees.

I would also want to have a garden that was about a quarter of the lot. I would try to grow multiple varieties of everything that we love to eat and maybe a few things that could be experiments. I have learned to love zucchini just in the past year after all. I would also try to plant a small variety of fruit and nut trees. A few sugar maples would be great too. All of this together would keep me happily busy in the afternoons and on saturdays.

In order to prepare for this as best as I can I plan on filling our balcony with as many plants as possible this spring. We have great light and I hope that the garden will do as well as our last little container garden did this past summer. And hopefully better than our poor Arizona garden. If I can convince someone to let me "rent" a corner of their property I will start an apiary as soon as possible and maybe use honey to pay the "rent". 

3 comments:

  1. Go for it. At our peek we had 20 birds, 10 chickens, 9 rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, 1 cat and 1 dog; critters take a lot of time but the dividends can be awesome. I really miss fresh eggs; however, I don't miss the mean old chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk to Officer Mike about chickens, he has had them for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware of attack chickens, check with your brother.

    ReplyDelete