Friday, October 12, 2012

Frozen Hash Browns

I love hash browns. They are wonderful. Unfortunately they seem to take a lot of time to make so they get relegated to being a weekend only dish. I have thought about just buying the preprocessed stuff from the store but at the same time I like making it myself. So I finally found a recipe that lets me cook up hash browns faster and at the same time make it myself.

Choose your amount of potatoes.

Bake them in the oven for 1-1.5 hours at 350º F.

Take them out and let them cool completely (do not rush this step, I did)

Peel and grate them like normal

Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper and stick in the freezer.

Cook like you would with any normal frozen hash browns.

I was a little impatient and tried to grate them too soon and found that they just crumbled into little chunks. When they were actually cool I was able to gently grate the potatoes. I think that if I cooked them a little shorter too that they may be less crumbly. I would like to have it so that I could use the kitchen aid grater attachment so that I could do 5-10 pounds all at once with very little effort. Next time I will see if I can make that work.

By the way I tried to turn the half that crumbled into mashed potatoes, it sorta worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment