Sunday, October 28, 2012

Preparing for Frakenstorm

With Hurricane Sandy on the way and a massive cold storm front moving in from the west the entire east coast is about to get slammed hard. It is predicted that there could be 1 billion dollars of damage. Millions are expected to loose power for at least a couple of days. Many staples and things like D batteries and flats of water have disappeared from store shelves.

Fortunately our cupboards are already full and we have several flats of water.
We are currently in the process of freezing ice cubes and blocks of ice in plastic cups. Before bed tonight I plan on filling all free space with water bottles to increase the thermal mass.

I pulled as much of my garden inside as I could and harvested most of what was left outside. So half of our kitchen is currently filled with plants. Even if the rest doesn't fare well, even though I think it will, it is at least near the end of the season so it is not like I will lose all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment